A study in pink

I have been traveling for work (to celebrate 50 years of the company I work for) and for vacation (visiting my kids in France) all was lovely but when I got back I got the worst cold and it's been hard to get back to normal.
Last weekend I finally did some stamping and this weekend I actually got a lesson called Irresistible Inking Techniques in AECP done, yay for me!

So that got me thinking of  different ways to use ink on card stock and got me experimenting with my beloved Altenew crisp inks a little bit. I came up with two cards, using the same stamp set Arabesque Medallion in the same colors from the Cherry Blossom family.


For my first card I used the very simple ink smooshing technique, smearing some of the Razzleberry ink onto my craft mat, spritzing with water and then dipping my Bristol card stock into the watered down ink several times, drying the card stock in between layers using my heat tool.
On top I stamped the medallion in black Versafine ink. The splotchy background goes so well with the clean and very defined lines of the stamp, don't you agree?


With all the water and several shots of heat my paper was quite warped so I decided to mount it to a piece of fun foam, this makes it all nice and flat and also adds dimension.

Then I needed a sentiment so I turned to my trusted Label Love set and since I had a piece of card stock I decided to stamp out  several of the labels - easy to keep in the stamp pocket and ready next time I need one! This is really a must have set from Altenew and I need to get the French version :)


For my card I used the Just for you label. Here are the ingredients for this very simple card;



For my second card I decided to do a bit of ink blending even though this technique is not my strongest point. I recently saw one of Jennifer McGuire's brilliant videos where she ink blended Distress Oxides over white embossed stamping and then watercolored withe clean water to remove some of the color. 
Now this didn't work so well with the Altenew inks so instead I added color to certain areas of my stamped image and this turned out really well.


For this card I stamped the medallion in Versmark sticky ink, embossed in white ink then ink blended a gradient of pinks using all the four Cherry Blossom inks. Then I water colored certain areas of the image with Razzleberry which is the darkest tone of ink in this family, and to make these areas stand out even more I went over them with my Wink of Stella. Since all this had made my white embossing become pinkish I thoroughly dried the card before over stamping the medallion once more and white embossing again.


So two cards for you today, tell me which one do you prefer? I can't choose!
Have a great week and thanks for visiting!

Learn more about the Altenew Educator Certification Program on the Altenew Academy part of the Altenew website.

Comments

  1. FABULOUS job on both card, Helen! I love both, but perhaps I love the ink-smooshed watercolor one a bit more....it is just more lively and organic to me! :) Thanks so much for entering your beautiful work in Altenew AECP assignment Gallery. Beautiful colors and design. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Victoria - the Razzleberry pink is a lovely hot pink!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both versions of the card are absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, thanks for taking the time to leave one :)

This is a public blog, meaning any comments left will be visible by 3rd parties and 3rd parties may be able to access your information from your comment left here. I will not contact you except to answer your comments and I will not store your contact information anywhere else than in your comment.

See other posts